To Netboot your SGI computer using DINA do the following.
- boot your SGI and go in to maintenace mode by either clicking the
"maintenace mode" button as start up or by repetedely pressing Escape
key at startup.
- In Maintenace mode go to PROM mode
- Type printenv, look for a environvent variable called netaddr.
- If no nettaddr variable is defined skip to action 6
- Type unsetenv netaddr to clear it, failure to do this step will
result in Netbooting not working. repeat action 3 to verify that it is
- You are now ready to Netboot your SGI box, you can at this stage
choose to format your harddisk, if it is allready formated from a
previous installation you might want to skip this step. In that case
skip to action 9
- At the PROM prompt type bootp()IP adress to DINA
server:/irix/6.5/1/stand/fx.ARCS for 32 bits SGIs (Indigos, Indys, O2
and R4k Indigo2s).
Or type bootp()IP adress to DINA server:/irix/6.5/1/stand/fx.64 for 64
bits SGIs (R10k Indigo2s, Octanes, Fuel, Onyx etc)
If you use the standard IP number of 192.168.1.100 for DINA the command
would look like this bootp()192.168.1.100/irix/6.5/stand/fx.ARCS --x
- format your disk as a boot drive
- press Escape to return to Maintence menu, click Install or press
1 on the keyboard.
- Click the Install software, from network.
- At the question what IP number you want to use just type a single
dot and click the OK button. Your SGI will get an IP number from DINA
so it is no
- At the question to type the IP of the Netboot server just type a
- At the question of the path type /irix/6.5/1/dist, click OK or
- The netboot process will start, you will see answers from DINA
presented on the SGI it usually look like .......
- The load progress of the loading will be displayed and when you
Using nekoware with mitt Autoinstall script och manuellt
Updating IRIx med mit autoinstall script och manuellt
Changing the IP number of DINA , try first with standard and if you
like it then change it.
Using it as a NFS server
Contacting the author
More info about installing IRIX
32 or 64 bits archituctures.
Installing without a mouse.
What does DINA stand for ? - DeBugs IRIX Netboot Appliance.